Thursday, April 6, 2017

Entry Thirteen

Day Thirty
(...)

9:30 AM Today I will film with Omar, guaranteed. He works at a local Italian restaurant as a bus boy and I'm going to do a quick interview on his break and then leave with him when his shift ends. He'll be in his uniform, which is good visually to reflect the struggle of taking any job available to you. I want to start making music for the documentary but I'm confident I can work with what I already have made in the past, though making some absolutely original for it would be the best. I need to have some footage and roughly edit it together to have the tone though. The limit is roughly five minutes which is scary but I don't know in which way. Part of me thinks that it is too much time without me having to use bland filler shot but I've known myself to over shoot and go ridicolously over the time limit. My problem with the short documentary I did earlier in the year was having a really strong intro to the piece with wonderful variety, and then never coming back to it and blasting the viewer with interview after interview. This project is concerning me a bit more because the subject is exactly the same, so I don't even have the variety of different interviewees. I wanted to start it off with some establishing shots of the city of Miami and Hialeah, of which I only have random b-roll of Miami I filmed for a music video I did last year. I want to do a time lapse as I just drive around the rougher neighborhoods with maybe a voice over and some hip hop music to start the documentary. All of this has to be shot this week for sure, as next week I have an obligation in Orlando for a programming course. I'll bring my camera to capture some last footage of maybe the jails(UPDATE: There are many jails just in my county that I can film, however there are only three prisons in the entire state of Florida that are maximum security. One in Orlando. Might pay it a visit or get some drive by footage) on the way there and overall b-roll, as I don't have a laptop to take with me to edit on my down time.

10:30 AM Just did a great interview with Joel(Omar's brother and my friend) at school. I liked where I filmed it as well, a slab of white bricks that reminded me much of prison.

7:00 PM I just finished my interviews with Omar(the first ones) and I had a good day of filming. I brought my phone with a clip on fish eye lens I have that gave some of the b roll(driving, walking up to his house, Omar playing with his son) that urban skate look that really appeals to my target audience. Also, as he told me the story of his assault case and I thought it would be cool and easy to do stylized cutaways as he tells the story, reenactments of the incident performed by his brother who looks a lot like him. I learned a lot about the prison system, and I got this great shot that could be faded in from his mugshot for a really good shot. He told me about his friend who went to prison and not jail, and said we could arrange an interview but he isn't a subject I want to really portray to get across my message, and I really want Omar to be my sole subject. In total I have around 60-70 minutes of footage, but I had to redo some really good bits because my SD card had to be swapped out because it filled up(I never delete footage off it) and I missed out on getting around 10 minutes of Omar talking about his youth and upbringing.

Also, here's the address for that prison.  25 minutes from where I'll be staying:

7000 H C Kelley Rd.
Orlando, FL


Let's pay it a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment